The findings of the investigation into historical child abuse in Jersey are due to be published on July 3rd.
Jersey’s inquiry into historical child abuse won’t now report back this year.
The final report is now expected by March 2017.
The Panel of the Independent Jersey Care Inquiry on Thursday (9 March) released the following statement:
“The Panel has received new information as part of Phase 3 of its work, in respect of recommendations for the future of Jersey’s childcare system.
“The Panel has advised the States of Jersey that there will be a delay to the publication of the report pending examination of the new information as to whether it affects the recommendations we intend to make.
“We do not anticipate extensive delays. We will announce the date of the report’s publication in due course and advise on the arrangements that will be in place for its launch.”
Child Abuse Inquiry on Top Tax Shelter Jersey Island Delayed Again
Apr 6 2017
Updated | In 2008, police unearthed the remains of at least 10 children, ages 6 to 12 years old, under a shuttered residential care home, on the island of Jersey—a territory of the British Crown, off the coast of France.
Since then, the scandal has roiled the island, as survivors and activists have clashed with Jersey’s government to find out why hundreds of children who reported being subjected to sexual and violent attacks by more than 150 alleged abusers for decades went largely ignored. Many of the accused are still alive and among the island’s top officials and business leaders, yet the vast majority have never been investigated or punished.
Those accused include British disc jockey Jimmy Savile and, more recently, former U.K. Prime Minister Ted Heath. Both men, now deceased, were fond of traveling to Jersey and inviting orphaned children on sailboat rides. A few of the island’s residents who witnessed these rides have reported some of the children never returned.
A Newsweek cover story in 2014, “Treasure Island,” highlighted how Jersey’s status as a $2 trillion tax shelter, catering to many of the world’s biggest banks, had “allowed corruption to flourish to such an extent that those seeking to combat it are the ones open to scorn,” according to Lenny Harper, former deputy chief of police who led the dig in 2008. Those working to uncover crimes against children on the island (which appear to date back to at least World War II, when the Nazis took over Jersey), were publicly smeared in the island’s government-funded newspaper, fired from their jobs, sued, gagged by legal order and even imprisoned for speaking out.
Now, a $28.4 million (£22.6 million) inquiry by a U.K. judge into the island’s decades of child abuse may allow Jersey to put behind it one of the darkest periods of its recent history. That is, if the inquiry’s three-member panel is able to release its report without any further delay or interference. The final document, expected out last December, was held up a second time in March for unknown reasons. The release date is now expected to be sometime in April. “This all could have been done and dusted years ago if the island hadn’t repeatedly put its reputation ahead of the abuse survivors,” says Carrie Modral, a Jersey resident and survivor who has led the campaign to get to the truth about what happened and why it was ignored for decades.
Modral, now 54, was sent as a toddler to the residential care home where police found children’s remains, called Haut de la Garenne—one of the homes visited frequently by Savile. She was just 3 years old. She was there in the 1960s, and remembers Haut de la Garenne as “overcrowded and very strict.” (The home was closed by Jersey’s government in the 1980s, but some victims say organized child abuse continued there for years afterward. It is now a youth hostel.)
Modral says she remained in government-run care homes in Jersey until she was 18, when she fled to London to escape her rapist, an older man living on the island. He had been sent to jail once for sexually abusing her and other minors, she tells Newsweek, “But when he got out he came after me again. The police didn’t care. They made you feel disbelieved and dirty. I was just a kid in care; I was a nobody. I packed my bag and left.”
A mother of two and grandmother to six, Modral eventually returned to the island and has been fighting for decades to expose the truth about how vulnerable children were treated in Jersey. During the police investigation in 2008, Operation Rectangle, nearly 200 people came forward from as far as Australia to report being abused when they were children growing up in Jersey. Of the 151 suspects named, at least 30 are now dead, according to a release issued by the States of Jersey Police when the investigation closed in 2010.
The inquiry into the island has included testimony from dozens who say they were raped, beaten, locked up, taken from their beds at night, loaned out for day trips where they were abused, and subjected to such extreme violence that they feared for their lives. Many reported being taken as children onto boats and yachts into international waters, where they were raped. Children who resisted or tried to get help reported being drugged, put into solitary confinement or sent to the local mental hospital or subjected to further violence. Some reported witnessing kids commit suicide at places like Haut de la Garenne. One survivor who published a book about his time at Haut de la Garenne says he witnessed another child (who was trying to fight off his abuser) boiled alive.
Since the summer of 2014, the inquiry’s panel, led by Judge Frances Oldham, has heard testimony from more than 200 witnesses who say they experienced abuse in the island’s foster and residential care homes from 1945 on. Abuse frequently took place in other locations, according to the island’s police, such as within the Jersey Sea Cadets, a nautical youth charity, but the government-funded inquiry focused strictly on government-run foster and care homes. According to the judge, the purpose of the final report is to “establish the truth about what happened to children in residential and foster homes, how mistreatment of children remained hidden for so long and what was done when concerns were raised.”
To this day, the island’s government is still fighting many of the abuse allegations. As of February 2017, the total cost of the three-year inquiry included more than $8.3 million (£6.6 million) of legal fees incurred by Jersey’s government to pay a team it hired to defend itself against allegations leveled by hundreds of the abuse survivors. Between 2012 and 2015, Jersey paid nearly $2.7 million (£2.1 million) to more than 100 survivors abused for decades in its residential care and foster homes. Maximum payment for an individual was about $75,000 (£60,000).
What now concerns survivors like Modral most is that the reasons for the report’s delays have not been made clear to them. And perhaps more troubling, there is reason to believe that the inquiry’s panel may be working with Jersey’s government on the final report, which would break a key promise made by the judge when she adjourned the inquiry in June 2016. At the time, Oldham emphasized that, in the interest of being “open and transparent” she would not engage in contact with anyone, including Jersey’s government, before publishing the final report, since it “would be inappropriate.” Yet in a release issued on March 9, the inquiry stated its report would be delayed for a second time because it had received “new information” from a source it would not name that could affect its final recommendations about the future of Jersey’s child-care system.
During a parliamentary question-and-answer session with Jersey’s chief minister (the island’s de facto president) in mid-March, some of the island’s elected leaders demanded to know if the government had been in touch with the inquiry panelists, who were supposed to be working independently. In response, Jersey’s Chief Minister Ian Gorst, declined to confirm there had been no further contact between the government and the panelists. A few days later, in an interview with the BBC Jersey, he said it was those running the inquiry, not Jersey’s government, who had initiated contact, not the other way around. “Nobody within the States, as far as I’m aware under the information that I have, made contact with the panel,” he said. “But the panel—again, I don’t know the details—have asked for clarification of certain matters in the report-writing stage.” He did not elaborate on what those clarifications were, when the inquiry first made contact, or with whom.
When reached by Newsweek about what new information the inquiry was seeking at such a late stage, who it came from and what the nature of it was, the inquiry’s spokeswoman, Angharad Shurmer said that Judge Oldham indicated “no further details are available in respect of this information.” Shurmer added that a new release date for the inquiry’s final report will be announced “in due course.” Gorst says the report may be out around Easter, but also noted that he has yet to be informed of an exact date.
For the survivors, many of whom must emotionally prepare for the report’s release, the inquiry’s delays have been incredibly frustrating. “It’s the opposite of open and transparent,” says Modral. “After working so hard to gain the trust of the survivors for this inquiry, to have so many delays without any plausible explanation is extremely damaging.”
Gorst has urged a speedy release of the inquiry’s report, noting that Jersey must take lessons from its past to ensure such large-scale abuses against children never happen again. In a statement emailed to Newsweek, he said: “The Jersey Care Inquiry has given a voice to victims and I would like to thank those people for their courage in coming forward to tell their stories. Our priority now is to respond to the recommendations from the Inquiry to ensure that our young people are protected, both now and in the future.”
Alan Collins, a partner at London law firm Hugh James, which represents more than 80 survivors of child abuse—including Modral—is also concerned about the delays. “If the report doesn’t come out soon,” he tells Newsweek, “I am afraid the inquiry may start to have some credibility problems.”
Collins says he’s still hopeful the inquiry into Jersey’s child abuse will be one of the most comprehensive ever released in the British Isles. “This report should be on the desk of anyone dealing with systemic child abuse, from governments to health and social services to law enforcement officials,” he says. “Jersey’s got ongoing problems, but it’s not unique. It’s a microcosm of a lot of other places, and we can learn from it.”
Correction: A previous version of this story stated Modral says she remained in government-run care homes in Jersey until she was 17. It was until she was 18. A previous version of this story also stated that between 2012 and 2015, Jersey paid money to survivors of its residential care and foster homes, and that the maxium payment was $60,000. It was £60,000.
Voice for Children blog comments:
What everyone now reading reports such as the JEP’s on the Graham Power hearing should remember is that there is hardly anything at all new in what Mr Power has revealed about the disgraceful machinations of the Jersey Establishment. That the MSM are now reporting such things is simply because the Inquiry and those brave few who fought for it have forced them to. The question that should be asked is given Jersey’s ‘media’ had Mr Power’s huge statement years ago why didn’t they publish the truth then?
Indeed, the fact is that Graham Power produced very little, or nothing new, whilst giving his evidence to the Inquiry. A great deal of what he had to say was produced in his affidavit years ago which was published on this Blog HERE.
It was also made a public document by former Deputy Bob Hill as a part of his proposition P.166 (forgotten the year). The State Media were burying all this stuff back then and it was the Bloggers who were publishing it. It is only now, some five, or so, years later that the MSM is reporting, what we were reporting back then.
An ex resident of Haut de la Garenne Childrens Home claims he saw children from the home being taken on to Heaths yacht and came back crying. There have been allegations that 11 boys left on Heaths boat and only ten returned when he went out with Savile. This was reported to the police with a Jersey Senator but nothing was done
Latest: Jersey Care Inquiry
16 January 2015
Jersey’s Care Inquiry has heard from a witness today who backs up claims that disgraced TV Presenter Jimmy Savile was in Jersey in 1976 when he denied he was.
‘Mr D’ was 15 years old when Savile visited Jersey children’s home Haut de la Garenne and had a photograph taken with a group of children.
Mr D says he was “too withdrawn” to ask to be in the photograph himself. But he says he saw a group of children pose for the photograph with Savile by the swimming pool.
This is the second witness to claim Jimmy Savile visited Haut de la Garenne.
Yesterday a man claimed he was sexually assaulted by Jimmy Savile during an outing with the care home.
He said Savile took him aside after the photograph was taken..
It has also now emerged that Savile visited the infamous Haut de la Garenne care home on the island of Jersey. Savile sued The Sun in 2008 to cover this up and to prevent the publication of a photograph which allegedly shows Savile in the company of children at the care home. As a consequence the paper had to withdraw the article and the photograph, but the picture is still widely available on the net and the story, though not the picture, has been published by both The Daily Telegraph and The Daily Mail
The current Jersey Inquiry into child abuse has heard that Jersey Senator Wilfred Krichefski raped a 12-year-old boy in the staff room of the Haut de la Garenne children’s home.
Senator Wilfred Krichefski carried out the attack with another man known as ‘The Old Posh Gent’.
On Jersey, Senator Wilfred Krichefski served as president of the Harbours and Airport committee and later as president of the Defence committee with responsibility for the police
Paul Every was the commanding officer of Jersey Sea Cadets who was arrested as part of Operation Ore for serious crimes against children but not suspended by the Jersey Sea Cadets.
Postcards link Islington care home children to scene of notorious Jersey sex abuse
The postcards provide solid evidence that children from Islington’s homes in the 1970s were sent on trips to Jersey, in an exchange programme with children from the notorious Haut de la Garenne home, where widespread abuse took place.
Islington Devil-worshipper with Pentangle tattoo on head raped teen in ‘satanic chamber
Would that have been a council-owned property Satan-obssessive Evangelou moved into c.1977/78 in Islington c.40 yrs ago then?
Islington paedophile Edwin George Peggs records closed for 84 years
[Name withheld] (juvenile, aged 16): murder of Edwin George PEGGS on 4 September 1977 in London N1 by stabbing. Convicted of manslaughter.
|Note:||The naming of a defendant within this catalogue does not imply guilt.|
|Date:||1977 Jan 01 – 1978 Dec 31|
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Former reference in its original department:||9417/77|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
|Closure status:||Closed Or Retained Document, Closed Description|
|Access conditions:||Closed For 84 years|
|FOI decision date:||2009|
|Exemption 1:||Personal information where the applicant is a 3rd party|
|Exemption 2:||Children and Young Persons Act 2001|
|Record opening date:||01 January 2063|
|Edwin Peggs||50 years Old, Islington. He picked up a 16 yr old boy whom he took to his flat. When Peggs tried to seduce the boy, the boy killed him in a gruesome manner. The boy later stole articles from the flat. He was convicted of the murder.|
Islington kids’ homes scandal: Shame of ex-mayor Sandy Marks’ pro-paedophile past – Politics – Islington Gazette
Islington kids’ homes scandal: Shame of ex-mayor Sandy Marks’ pro-paedophile past
Islington kids’ homes scandal: Shame of ex-mayor Sandy Marks’ pro-paedophile past – Politics – Islington Gazette
Survivors of the horrific child abuse scandal that rocked Islington Council in the 1990s have called for police to lead a fresh inquiry as the Gazette today publishes explosive new revelations.
‘Heath July 1976 at the Royal Channel Island Yacht Club
Sir Edward Heath does feature as part of Operation Whistle, currently investigating historical allegations of abuse in Jersey.’
Investigations into claims that police socialised with suspected paedophiles at a Jersey yacht club “came to a dead end” when the police chief was denied access to the yacht club registers, which would have shown who was present at gatherings.
Graham Power was in charge when the police investigation into historical child abuse began in 2006. He said there were reports that children were abused on boats.
TED HEATH AT THE TOWN HALL WITH (the late) CONSTABLE PETER BAKER JULY 20 1976
“I was told that a group of police officers and senior officials, and people who were subsequently associated with paedophile activity, used to meet as a group at the yacht club at the same time and socialise together.
“The reports that things were happening out at sea all seemed to join up into a sort of set of circumstances that merits investigation.”
DISCLAIMER: THE POSTING OF STORIES, COMMENTARIES, REPORTS, DOCUMENTS AND LINKS (EMBEDDED OR OTHERWISE) ON THIS SITE DOES NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, NECESSARILY EXPRESS OR SUGGEST ENDORSEMENT OR SUPPORT OF ANY OF SUCH POSTED MATERIAL OR PARTS THEREIN.